So we decided to go out to London Bridge and walk along Southbank for some SLR practice. The task was essentially to get to grips with the settings and on-the-spot adjustments, whilst taking themed shots for later use and editing.
I went with people and how people were enjoying the sunny day. It was a nice activity to look through the shots afterwards and see the individuals taking a stroll or reading a book and see couples or families walking together and enjoying their company, so I thought these could be picturesque when grouped.
In terms of the technical stuff, we saved the shots as JPEG+RAW, so we had both a compressed and uncompressed raw version. The RAW files are better to edit with later on Photoshop as they are (as it is on the tin) the raw format, the original untouched photographs. These settings are found under Menu varying with model.
As an experience, I attempted adjusting the Shutter Speed and Aperture, while leaving the WB set for sunny conditions and medium ISO. I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it all. For sure the light meter is very helpful (except when it's off the scale and I'm not sure if it's too dark or too bright!). As for the focus, of course I think it's good through the viewfinder but many turned out slightly off, which was a shame. Perhaps it's the camera lens and my glasses lens not quite matching, or simply because I can't tell at the scene. Tomás says that comes with practice too though. So practice I shall.